On Thursday, June 27th and again on Friday, June 28th, 2013, the U.S. Department of Education's Office of Safe and Healthy Students and its Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools (REMS) Technical Assistance (TA) Center will host 90-minute webinars that provide an overview of two recently released guides:
- Guide for Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans, and
- Guide for Developing High-Quality Emergency Operations Plans for Institutions of Higher Education.
In January 2013 the President put forward his “Now is the Time” plan to reduce gun violence. One of the executive actions put forth in his plan was the development of these new guides that have been developed by the Departments of Education; Justice, led by the FBI; Homeland Security, led by FEMA; and Health and Human Services.
These new guides will help schools and institutions of higher education develop and implement high-quality emergency operations plans (EOPs), and describe the principles and processes that will help ensure planning efforts are aligned with the emergency planning practices at the national, state, and local levels.
These webinars will be done in collaboration with all of the Federal agencies that worked together to develop the guides, and will provide an overview of
- the key principles for developing a comprehensive EOP for a school or IHE;
- the planning process for developing, implementing, and refining an EOP for a school or IHE;
- the form, function, and content of a school or IHE EOP plan; and
- topics that support emergency operations planning including, but not limited to, information sharing, school climate, active shooter situations, and psychological first aid for schools.
In order to accommodate as many interested parties as possible, there will a 90-minute school guide webinar and a separate 90-minute IHE guide webinar on June 27th and these two webinars will be repeated on June 28th. In addition, both webinars will be archived for those unable to participate on the 27th or 28th.
The webinars will include a 60-minute presentation on a guide and a 30-minute question and answer session, along with information on how to access more information and resources.
The webinars are first come, first serve; we strongly encourage you to pre-register!
Webinar dates and times are as follows: (Click on the link to register)
Thursday, June 27
- 1:00 - 2:30 p.m. ET (90 minutes) An Overview of the Guide for Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations plans.
- 3:00 - 4:30 p.m. ET (90 minutes) An Overview of the Guide for Developing High-Quality Emergency Operations Plans for Institutions of Higher Education.
Friday, June 28
- 12:00 - 1:30 p.m. ET (90 minutes) An Overview of the Guide for Developing High-Quality Emergency Operations Plans for Institutions of Higher Education.
- 2:00 - 3:30 p.m. ET (90 minutes) An Overview of the Guide for Developing High-Quality School Emergency Operations Plans.